Monday, August 9, 2010

WEDDING: PART TWO

Yes, there had to be a PART TWO to our story. Pat and I weren't satisfied with a merely secular, legal wedding as in PART ONE. Our leaving the religious and clerical life with a secular wedding was only the beginning of our dream for each other. We wanted a sacramental marriage. Eventually, Rome capitulated.
In late September, 1970 Monsignor Tony Bevilacqua married us sacramentally in the Brooklyn Diocese Chancery Office. He later became the Cardinal Archbishop of Philadelphia.
Pat was dispensed from her religious vows (made at age 18!).
And I was dispensed from my vows as a Passionist religious ( I entered the seminary at age 14!) And Rome gave me permission to marry Pat. But they said, in effect, "sure, you may marry...sure, you are a priest "forever"....just don't function as a priest anymore." And now, I don't use my priesthood....[well, not all the the time].
However, that would be another blog about... "my priesthood today"
A friend once commented that Sister Pat looked anxious and worried in this pic back in the late '50's. Could be.
But we think it shows her ascetic idealism at age 18! Ahhh, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder!"
I entered the Passionist Seminary at age 14, 1945.
Ordained 14 years later, 1959. Man, that was a long stretch!
Vatican dispensation, 1970.
As for Pat and me, our life together began on the 13th of August, 1969. Our life together.... thanks to the Providence of our Loving God!
And this is what that Loving God gave us...our three little Mouseketeers!
l-r Mikey, Kimberly, Kelly. 1976.
And again, in '78
l-r: Kimberly, Michael and Kelly St. Paddy's Day.
"Suddenly today"..... all in their mid to late 30's. Our greatest gift(s). Thanks, Lord!
THE BEGINNING!

No comments: