Sunday, July 19, 2009

BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAIN CAPER!

Pat and I just returned from our weekend caper.... over in yonder Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. One of our favorite scenic destinations (as you may well remember by the previous blogs we've inflicted......uh, shared ....
with you in times past).

Chris! Watch out for those deer ahead!

Huh? Oh, Pat. That's so sweet...you called me....'dear'!







Passing thru Emmits-
burg, MD, we decided to visit (once again) the Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton (1774-1821) Basilica at the foot of the Catoctin Mts.....no , we didn't stop by to visit their neighbor....Barack at Camp David.

If you remember, Elizabeth Seton was a married society gal from New York (1774-1821), widowed at age 30 with 5 young children to raise alone. After joining the Catholic Church, Elizabeth retired with her children to a donated farm in Emmits
burg, MD. Hard times for her and the kids, esp. the poverty. Soon, however, other dedicated young women joined her in community and founded the Daughters of Charity. From that tiny nucleus, today the Daughters number over 7,000 vowed religious. Master educators in high schools and colleges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Ann_Seton




Hey, Pike Creek Pat! Let's hike down to yonder valley! It's only about 10 miles! C'mon, girl!















Sure, Chris! You hike. I'll drive the car down. See ya' later!

















Hey, ol' man! You've been napping in that front seat for 2 hours. Move it!!










EPILOGUE: Once upon a time, many years ago.....when Kelly, Kim and Mike were working their way thru the throes of typical teenage self-assertion (uh, in-your-face confrontations)... one cold Winter nite I was expounding one of my "pearls of wisdom" at the family dinner table. In the corner of my parental eye, I caught the three of them rolling their eyes while faking gags and coughs over some assertion I had made. "Dear ol' dad" they finally blurted out at me, "your stories are so corny ....so...ugh!...cornball! Enuff already!"

Okay! As fate would have it, y
ears later cyber blogs came along and I had to choose an apt pen name for my novice blog. "Aha, I thought to myself....why not follow up on the kids evaluation of my communication skills! By their own admission, I'm good at corn...I'll be the Cornmeister, master of trite, well-worn corn. Ever since, I've blogged up their email systems with plenty of down-home .....CORN! Retribution? Who? Me?





This is so inspira-
tional. Iconic corn!










CORN! BRING IT ON!







---THE END -- (WHAT ELSE!)


No comments: